Dr. Stacey Matheson, BSc, DDS, MSc, Dip Perio, FRCD(C)
Dr. Matheson, a native of Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, moved to Halifax to attend university. She became a Dental Assistant in 1989, a Dental Hygienist in 1994, and a Dentist in 2000. She graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology in 1996 (with distinction) and obtained her Master of Science and a Diploma in Periodontics from the University of British Columbia in 2003. Dr. Matheson also successfully completed specialized written and oral examinations with the Royal College of Dentists of Canada to become a Board Certified Periodontist meaning that she has successfully completed the most vigorous testing available as a Periodontist. Being a Board Certified by the Royal College is a sought after privilege.
Dr. Matheson frequently attends high-level continuing education courses from world leaders. She is a passionate educator and has taught at Dalhousie Dental School in the graduate and undergraduate dentistry programs and has established and runs a study club for Dental Hygienists. She is a proud member of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada, the American Academy of Periodontics, the Canadian Academy of Periodontics, The Atlantic Society of Periodontics, the Atlantic Society of Dental Specialists, the Halifax County Dental Society and the Seattle Study Club and is a regular contributor to the Nova Scotia Dental Association Newsletter.
Dr. Matheson is happily married with three wonderful children and enjoys spending time outdoors gardening, hiking, kayaking and walking her dogs, Charlie and Lucy. She also enjoys playing 🎻Cape Breton Fiddle.
What is a Periodontist?
A periodontist is a GUM SPECIALIST – a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal diseases and in the surgical placement of dental implants. Periodontal disease is also referred to as gum disease and includes gingivitis, periodontitis and gum recession. Periodontists undertake three additional years of schooling after dental school in order to specialize in the treatment of gum diseases and do extensive study in the field of surgical dental implant placement. Dr. Matheson is committed to excellence.
Patients may be referred to Dr. Matheson by their general dentist or by self referral.
- The American Academy of Periodontology Prize for outstanding student in Clinical Periodontics
- Atlantic Society of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency in Periodontics
- Canadian Academy of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency in Periodontics
- Kathleen McNulty Memorial Prize in Graduate Periodontics
- Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care Prize for greatest proficiency in Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care
- The Doctor FA Godsoe Prize for greatest proficiency in Cariology I
- NSDA Prize for greatest proficiency in Cardiology II
- Canadian Associated Dental Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Occlusion and neuromuscular function
- Canadian Association of Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Fixed Prosthodontics.
- J Stanley Bagnell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd-year dentistry.
- JD MacLean Scholarship for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd-year dentistry
- Charles Bell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 2nd-year Dentistry
- Faculty of Dentistry Scholarship for highest grade point average in 2nd-year dentistry
- Graduate Teaching Award (UBC) for outstanding teaching.
- Best Presentation Student Seminar Series Master of Science Category
- Canadian Dental Association Award in recognition of outstanding qualities of leadership, scholarship character, and humanity during dental studies.