Dr. Stacey Matheson, BSc, DDS, MSc, Dip Perio, FRCD(C)
Dr. Matheson has been working as a periodontist in Halifax for over twenty years. She regularly sees patients from all over the maritimes.
Dr. Matheson is a native of Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. She became a dental assistant in 1989 (NSCCIT), a dental hygienist in 1994 (Dalhousie University), and a dentist in 2000 (Dalhousie University). She graduated with distinction with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology in 1996 (Dalhousie University) and obtained her Master of Science and Diploma in Periodontics in 2003 (University of British Columbia).
Dr. Matheson is a fellow of the Royal College of Dentists of Canada as well as a member of several dental organizations and societies including the Canadian Academy of Periodontology, the American Academy of Periodontology, and the International Society of Periodontal Plastic Surgeons.
Dr. Matheson is married with three children and enjoys spending time outdoors gardening, hiking, kayaking, walking her dogs, and enjoys playing the Cape Breton Fiddle 🎻.
What is a Periodontist?
A periodontist is a GUM SPECIALIST – a dentist who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of periodontal diseases and in the surgical placement of dental implants. Periodontal disease is also referred to as gum disease and includes gingivitis, periodontitis and gum recession. Periodontists undertake three additional years of schooling after dental school in order to specialize in the treatment of gum diseases and do extensive study in the field of surgical dental implant placement. Dr. Matheson is committed to excellence.
Patients may be referred to Dr. Matheson by their general dentist or by self referral.
- The American Academy of Periodontology Prize for outstanding student in Clinical Periodontics
- Atlantic Society of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency in Periodontics
- Canadian Academy of Periodontology Prize for greatest proficiency in Periodontics
- Kathleen McNulty Memorial Prize in Graduate Periodontics
- Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care Prize for greatest proficiency in Clinical Comprehensive Patient Care
- The Doctor FA Godsoe Prize for greatest proficiency in Cariology I
- NSDA Prize for greatest proficiency in Cardiology II
- Canadian Associated Dental Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Occlusion and neuromuscular function
- Canadian Association of Laboratories Prize for greatest proficiency in Fixed Prosthodontics.
- J Stanley Bagnell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd-year dentistry.
- JD MacLean Scholarship for Highest Grade Point Average in 3rd-year dentistry
- Charles Bell Memorial Prize for Highest Grade Point Average in 2nd-year Dentistry
- Faculty of Dentistry Scholarship for highest grade point average in 2nd-year dentistry
- Graduate Teaching Award (UBC) for outstanding teaching.
- Best Presentation Student Seminar Series Master of Science Category
- Canadian Dental Association Award in recognition of outstanding qualities of leadership, scholarship character, and humanity during dental studies.